Thursday, October 11, 2012

Musings: God's Deck of Cards

Dear Friends,

It's Thursday, and that means I get to write about my musings--things I ponder and think about from time to time that hold significance in my life, and possibly in yours. Life is one, big, crazy unknown vortex, filled with surprises, excitement, sadness, pain, laughter, and hope. We are all trying to find a little sense and peace in the entropy of the world, and I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts on the subject.

I was talking to my best friend last night, and he said something incredibly profound (rare for him...just kidding :D). When we are faced with decisions and tough situations, trust God. He may be waiting to play a card. The card may never leave the deck. He may have already played the card, or is playing a card that trumps all the others in the hand. These statements really resounded with me. I have been feeling somewhat distant from God the past week, not for one particular reason--just separated. Over the past month, I have had a very difficult time trusting God. I am on medical leave from the school of my dreams. I do not know when I will be able to return. My studies and career path are influenced by this delay, adding another layer of confusion. I am far away from all of my friends. Relationships are changing, ebbing and flowing. Trust is the last thing I feel capable of. My best friend's words brought me back to the ground again and reminded me that God has it all taken care of. It may not feel like it, but He is watching out for me, and for all of us.

I am someone who wants hard evidence and proof. How do I know that God is taking care of me? Why should I trust someone that I cannot see? Why should I believe that everything is going to turn out exactly how it is supposed to? I do not have a perfect answer to these difficult questions. However, I believe that the people in my life and the blessings that surround me give me some great clues. I am healthy. I am safe. I am only temporarily separated from Notre Dame. My best friends are still the best friends in the world. I have a wonderful chance to spend time with my Mom and create goods for an online business (with her help, of course). I have the opportunity to explore my passions and my vocation by volunteering at University Hospital and playing piano at a local Church on Sundays. I am in a place where I can heal. All is well. These are the things that prove to me that God is holding my deck of cards safely in His hands, playing each card as  they are meant to be played. And in the end? We all win the game, if we can trust and have a little faith.

Words Truly,

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment